Online astronomy during COVID-19
Our members have a range of online activities available during the shutdown. We'll keep this updated as our members send us more information. If you'd like something added to this page, please let us know through the contact form.
- Meet an ICRAR astronomer weekly lecture each Wednesday at 7:30pm AWST on ICRAR's YouTube channel
- Backyard Stargazing with "Galaxy Girl" - Every fortnight, join "Galaxy Girl" from Stargazers Club WA for an evening under the stars. Great tips on stargazing and telescopes for beginners. When's the next Facebook Live?
- Perth Observatory has Public Talks at 7:30pm Thursdays and Virtual Star Parties at 7:30pm Saturdays (and a discord channel to ask questions)
- Gravity Discovery Centre and Observatory & Astronomy Education Service has been doing webcasts on "LIVE-SKY Astronomy" and "What's the Sun doing Today?" on Facebook. They also have regular observing sessions (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday nights) at 8:00pm where they observe 2 targets per session and have live commentary from Rick Tonello, as well as solar viewing Fridays at 1:00pm
- Fred Watson's Cosmic Relief webinar series Wednesdays 7:30pm AEST (registrations essential)
- AstroQuest Complete quests to help Australian scientists understand how galaxies grow and evolve. Sign up online today.
- Find more online projects with the Australian Citizen Science Association.
For school teachers & homeschooling parents
- ICRAR is running weekly online sessions for teachers & homeschooling parents.
- Read Why does the date for Easter changes each year?
- Virtual Reality download the free GLEAMoscope app from Apple or Android and use your own headset to explore the night sky in radio colour
- Augmented Reality download and colour in radio antennas, then use the QuiverVision app to bring them to life!
- Listen to Dark Sky Conversations and explore light from a variety of spectrums
- Listen to Scitech's new interstellar podcast series, Audio Guide to the Galaxy.
- BinoCentral is offering a free knock and drop delivery service if you're in isolation and can't make it to their shop. They're also offering lessons and telescope help via zoom.